Plastic knobs attached to recessed, flimsy, cheap plastic stem pots are in constant danger of accidental breakage. What’s in your garage? 

Saturday afternoon saftey-mod!

Plastic knobs attached to recessed, flimsy, cheap plastic stem pots are in constant danger of accidental breakage. What’s in your garage?

First I found a piece of 3/4″ aluminum U-channel left over from a security sign ground stake. Then I measured and cut 4 pieces to size using a bench vise and a hack saw.

After rounding the sharp corners with a bench grinder, I filed the remaining sharp edges using a simple shop file. Then, I centered and carefully marked the pot-stem positions with a sharpie.

Using three different size drill bits (smallest to largest), I drilled out the holes (using a drill press) so the pot-stems w/knobs would poke through evenly. I then smoothed out the openings with an even larger sized drill bit.

After centering the safety plate over the pots, I carefully drilled two holes through the plate and into the amp chassis. (Yes, I checked to make sure there was enough space in-between the pots to accept a 1/2″ sheet metal screw without inadvertently killing something!)

Using 1/2″ #6 stainless steel sheet metal screws with Lock-Tite applied and lock washers, I fastened the safety plates to the chassis. Voila! No more broken cheap plastic pots!

Thanks to David Albro for the coaching on using the machine screws!

Originally posted 2013-04-28 00:51:35.